POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! : Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Jun 2000 14:45:16
Message: <395a47bc@news.povray.org>
In article <8F617F84Elavendersmith@204.213.191.228> ,
lav### [at] hotmailcom (lavender) wrote:

> But Povray in all of its power can not even
> brake up the image into chunks and pass those to nodes to render and return
> the part of the image. This IS a simple venture. I have built an external
> system to do just this but it is clumsey. Even simpler is to send frames
> out to different systems. This would help also.

While this is easy to implement on _one_ platform, doling it on multiple
platforms is an extreme amount of work.  How many of the "professional"
programs can do this on more than just a few Unix platforms?  The answers is
simple: None.  Pixar added Windows NT support for RenderMan just a short
time ago, and they have hundreds of millions of dollars (after the movies
they made for Disney).  There is no standard API for networking defined in
either the C or C== standard, even Unix has Sockets and Streams.

> This is something the
> povray team should have already done. I know the program is free but honer
> and pride in work along with integraty should have driven them to write a
> completely modern application.

There will be a rewrite for 4.0 using C++, but consider that we do it in our
spare time, don't get paid $10000/month and work 50 hours/week for POV-Ray.
Some of the features in POV-Ray also require PhD grade math to understand.
I.e. for photons there are just the mathematical models, even those who
invented these models don't have a parallel solution for them yet (at least
published).

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg